20 Years of Wikipedia – Come and Celebrate With Us
20 Years Wikipedia and WikiSwiss Award
Wikimedia CH celebrated 20 Years Wikipedia and the first edition of the WikiSwiss Award on June 12 from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm at Neubad, Lucerne. The central topic was: „Monopolisation and capitalisation of knowledge: What is knowledge worth in the digital age? Who will control access to knowledge in the future? How can knowledge be made more democratic?“
Due to the COVID restrictions we were allowed to celebrate with 100 guests only.
With this event we intended to
- celebrate the 20 years of Wikipedia
- establish and strengthen personal contacts
- honour long-time Wikipedia editors from all over Switzerland
- provide a distinguished setting for the first edition of the WikiSwiss Award Ceremony
With keynotes from
- Monique Morrow, an American telecommunications engineer who was CTO Consulting Engineer at Cisco Systems between 2012 and 2016, and is president and co-founder of Humanized Internet, anon-profit organization active in protecting the digital identities of under-represented populations.
- Hannes Grassegger, u.a. Technology Reporter. Economist. Former Financial Analyst, journalism award-winner. Author of „Das Kapital bin Ich“ (Kein & Aber Verlag, Berlin/Zürich, 2014), on why we should own our data. Writing a book about better platforms for Public Affairs (NYC). Working on a better platform for Switzerland.
Member of the Global Future Council on Media, Sports and Entertainment 2020/2021. Member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Experts Community.
Former Swiss fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington DC.
Experts for the Panel Discussion
- Sophie Mützel, Professor of soziology, focus media and netzworks, Uni Luzern
- Uwe Feuersenger, founder of a school in Zürich – planning an alternative non commercial search engine
- Marc Holitscher, National Technology Officer Microsoft CH
- Sibel Arslan Nationalrätin and advocate
- Johan Rochel, Co-Founder Ethix – Lab for innovation ethics
10:30 – Checkin/registration due to COVID-protection
Get together with coffee, croissants around the pool
11:00 – Welcome by Moderator Nicola Forster
11:05 – Introduction of the topic by WMCH-President Muriel Staub and
WMCH-Executive Director Jennifer Ebermann
11:20 – Keynote 1: Hannes Grassegger
11:35 – Keynote 2: Monique Morrow
11:50 – Panel discussion with 5 experts (see above)
13:00 – Networking Lunch around the pool
14:00 – WikiSwiss Award – Ceremonie and more
15:30 – End
Wikimedia CH provided simultan translation service on demand.:
- German to French
- German to English
- English to French (Keynote)
- English to German (Keynote)
- Guests must stay seated and need to wear masks
- 1.5 m distance between the guests (not necessay if you live in the same houshold)
- Registration compulsory
- All who feel sick that day, can’t participate
- Desinfection of tables and surfaces before and after the event
Wikimedia CH was responsible the these measures will be respected.
all information (in German)
- Podcast and Photos
- Wikipedia Kurier – Review from Wikipedians (in German)
- Media Release (in German, French and Italian)
A big thank you to the sponsors for supporting our event, Puzzle ITC und Caran d’Ache.
Martin Gafner, Chief Communications, Marketing & Sales Deputy CEO: « Puzzle ITC setzt Open Source Software ein, contributed dazu und veröffentlicht selbst Open Source basierte Software. Wir orientieren uns am Prinzip vom Geben und Nehmen. So ist es für uns naheliegend, Wikipedia/Wikimedia zu unterstützen. »
(updated on June 29, 2021)