On the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day on 26th of April 2020, Wikimedia CH and many organizations more have signed a call on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to take urgent action to help save our cultural heritage.
The world’s cultural heritage is at risk from the devastating effects of climate change. Globally, libraries, archives, museums, sites and other cultural heritage institutions are suffering the grave consequences of fires, floods and other disasters related to climate change.
Cultural heritage institutions urgently need an international legal instrument with clear rules allowing preservation of collections, including across borders.
WIPO alone has the mandate to set this global standard, and only WIPO can solve the cross-border problems.
This letter was an initiative of
- Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL)
- International Council of Archives (ICA)
- International Council of Museums (ICOM)
- International Federation of Library Associations and institutions (IFLA)
- Society of American Archivists (SAA)