Digitalizing Swiss cultural heritage
The acronym GLAM comes from English languages and stands for “Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums“.
Our mission is to help Swiss memory institutions to share their curatorial knowledge, collections and resources in a digital manner, with a global community through a global platform, making the Swiss cultural heritage and its diversity more discoverable and accessible to the world.
Wikimedia CH’s services for GLAMs
- We share our knowledge and experience in respect to digitalization with Swiss cultural institutions. This involves knowledge about the techniques to convert original material to digital, metadata for search and retrieval purpose, storage of digital material, dissemination of information, critical policies and privacy issues impacting the digital strategies of Swiss memory institutions.
- We provide people and resources to enable Swiss cultural organizations of all sizes and in all geographical/language regions to create their own pages on Wikipedia and share knowledge. High quality training and digital tools help Swiss memory institutions to manage their resources, collection and content by themselves.
- We offer a global technology platform, information access in multiple languages, including background information and numerous links to data collections and footage, via multiple devices anytime and anywhere, allowing Swiss cultural organizations to reach new and more diversified audiences.
- We create added value by keeping abreast of innovative new technology solutions that we discuss with Swiss cultural institutions, and support them to gain insights about visitors, their preferences and behaviours, simultaneously enhancing visitors’ cultural experiences and rendering cultural education more accessible.
Some of our partners
Swiss National Library, Swiss Federal Archives, ETH Library Zurich, Swiss Social Archives, SBB Historic, Archives Cantonales Vaudoises, EPFL Lausanne, MAMCO Geneva, Historic Museum Basel and many more.
Learn more what our partners say on the Youtube Channel Wikimedia CH official in the GLAM playlist.
Do you know our “GLAM-on-Tour” event format? Get inspired here:
- at the Museum Kirchner in Davos (video), October 2016
- at the Migros Archiv Zürich, April 2018
- at the MAMCO Museum Geneva, June 2018
- at Fonoteca nazionale svizzera, October 2019
- at the Museum ENTER in Solothurn (photos, video), July 2021
If you would like to talk about a possible collaboration with Wikimedia CH, please contact us in order to set up an initial conversation.